If you haven’t heard, the Kappa Sigma fraternity at Duke University was called out for their outrageously racist party themes. Much like how Penn State’s Chi Omega sorority held a “Mexican-themed party”, the Kappa Sig chapter is throwing an “Asia Prime” rager. A racist rager.
Now, nationally Kappa Sigma’s mission statement is outlined by five points:
- The Fraternity should complement and enhance the educational mission of the host institution.
- The Fraternity should promote the ideal of Brotherhood.
- The Fraternity should actively contribute to the personal growth and development of its members.
- The Fraternity should promote ethical behavior and decision-making.
- The Fraternity should encourage service to others.
Now, I don’t think Duke’s Kappa Sig chapter is following those very well. Contact their national office here and let them know how you feel. Students at Duke are holding protests, including one at the West Campus Bus Stop at 1PM on Wednesday, February 6.