“Fashion Week’s Models Are Getting Whiter”
That was the headline the other day at Jezebel, which came up with the above graph after some exhaustive research.
What’s up with New York Fashion Week?
In reporting on the issue myself, I realized that this isn’t just about a bunch of women on runways. It’s about the very perception of wealth. In short, the faces that we see in ads for luxury products — makeup, handbags, sunglasses — are almost invariably white. Black and Hispanic ladies: good luck.
Ashley Mears, a sociologist and former model who’s studied the issue, says high fashion is looking for girls who project youth, unattainability and a sort of sexual purity. Over the centuries, those qualities have come to be reinforced with whiteness in the West.
“Throughout colonial history, non-white women have often been marked as sexually deviant, hypersexual, sexually available,” said Mears. “Not just women, but also men.”
For black models, that means being repeatedly told they should get nose jobs, or that their rear ends are too big.
To be fair, some industry insiders take this seriously. But others, not so much. One designer who’s show I attended at Fashion Week was Nicole Miller. About a quarter of her models were non-white, and she had this to say.
“I had 5 diversified girls, plus a redhead,” said Miller. “Which is the most diversity. Because the lowest percentage of the population is redheads. So you have to include them in the diversified group.”
There you have it: redheads as women of color.
- antieskapisme reblogged this from racialicious
- theymightbebeatles likes this
- stardusted likes this
- ward15inmatea-permanentresident reblogged this from kvothetheraving
- femancipate reblogged this from field-of-paper-flowers and added:
- field-of-paper-flowers reblogged this from femancipate and added:
- bluebirdgirl likes this
- kerishma reblogged this from racialicious
- cnassty reblogged this from notyouraveragevietgirl
- ahlonna reblogged this from notyouraveragevietgirl
- notyouraveragevietgirl reblogged this from oppressedbrowngirlsdoingthings
- notyouraveragevietgirl likes this
- portajohnegbert likes this
- whitewingedalbatross reblogged this from oppressedbrowngirlsdoingthings
- finejustbitter likes this
- enthedevame reblogged this from oppressedbrowngirlsdoingthings
- ally070900 likes this
- sevenmilefragrance likes this
- resmc likes this
- harry-poppins likes this
- kooooolaid reblogged this from poonanji
- totallyradicaldame reblogged this from poonanji
- buttwarp likes this
- marydoyoujuanasmoke likes this
- poonanji reblogged this from micropolisnyc
- luisacostapina reblogged this from socialistguineapigs
- amandaisa-ok reblogged this from bonappetitashley
- nesombrepas likes this
- sunshineandteatime likes this
- everythingdolls likes this
- putinsgirl likes this
- kaitlynthevegan likes this
- bohemianarthouse reblogged this from chauvinistsushi
- hugs-are-lovely likes this
- lionheartedone reblogged this from fascinasians
- piapetter reblogged this from tierdropp
- vampire-cities reblogged this from rachellephant
- youronlineresource reblogged this from millennium-fae
- tuttiflutti reblogged this from feminishblog
- thereadingsuccubus reblogged this from pmastamonkmonk
- butter-princess reblogged this from pmastamonkmonk
- pmastamonkmonk reblogged this from the-still-spooky-almightypiggy
- blueberry-icing likes this
- aisakumi likes this
- helkitty1639 reblogged this from kvothetheraving
- blogging-ot likes this
- y2ycenter reblogged this from fascinasians and added: