Research Grant for an undergraduate student intern to conduct population eye research in China
Dr. Shan Lin, Professor of the Department of Ophthalmology and the Asian Health Institute at the UCSF Medical Center, and Dr. Guofu Huang, chair of the Nanchang Eye Hospital Institute at the Nanchang University are jointly co-sponsoring this public health research position for eye diseases (glaucoma, cataracts, etc.) in China.
The grant recipient will station at the Nanchang University for 12 months, and will help to conduct the research under the guidance of Professor Guofu Huang, chair of the Nanchang Eye Hospital Institute at the Third Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Jiangxi Province, P.R. China.
1. Over 18 years old
2. Currently an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited university
3. Speaks Mandarin fluently, speaking Cantonese as an additional language will be an asset
4. Reads simplified Chinese
5. Types Chinese characters using the keyboard
Additionally, the applicant is preferred to have some research experience.
What the position offers to the successful applicant:
1. Salary: 42,000 Yuan (approx. $7000 US) per year (provided by China’s National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No.81260147))
2. Lodging: Free (provided for by the Nanchang University)
3. Airfare: An economy class round-trip air ticket will be provided to the successful grant recipient to fly from San Francisco to the nearest international airport to Nanchang in China (provided for by the Asian Health Institute)
4. Publication: Will be included as an author in publications related to the research conducted
5. Letters of recommendation for future academic /work applications
Deadline for application: Open now till January 1, 2014
Application format: Please send 3 items:
1. Application letter of interest which includes a statement about your future academic goals
3. Most recent grade report
Where to send application: Please email the 3 items to Dr. Shan Lin: “Lin, Shan” <LinS@vision.ucsf.edu> and Dr. Diana Lau: “Diana Lau” <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Notification for the award funding: January 15, 2014