Will you tweet with We Belong Together Tonight? We’ll be talking about how congressional inaction on immigration reform has hurt our communities and what we’re going to do about it.
We’ll be chatting using the hashtag #WomenTogether from 8pm-9pm ET/5pm-6pm PT and we need to hear from you!
A lot can happen in a year. In the time since the Senate passed their comprehensive immigration reform bill on June 27th, 2013,
- I got engaged, planned a wedding and got married;
- two We Belong Together staffers had babies;
- 105 of us fasted for 48 hours for immigration reform;
- around 400,000 people were deported and their families separated;
- 5.5 million kids with an undocumented parent lived in fear of losing their mom or dad;
- the We Belong Together team took action in the streets and online for immigration reform over and over again.
In that time, Congress could have passed a comprehensive immigration reform bill and ended the suffering of millions of families. But instead, they did nothing. It’s just not right.
That’s why We Belong Together is taking to social media to show Congress and the President that it’s time to act.
Will you join me, Elianne Ramos aka @erGeekGoddes, and @MomsRising on Twitter tonight to talk about how much has happened in our lives in the past year #WhileCongressdidNothing about immigration reform?
I hope you can join us to share what you’ve done this year, along with resources, or questions by adding the hashtag #WomenTogether to your tweets between 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT/5:00pm-6:00pm PDT.
If you want to help spread the word about the Tweet Chat, I’ve included a few sample tweets below:
- Think it’s time #Congress & the President to act 2 keep fams together? Join #womentogether at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT & share your story #TNTweeters
- No #WorldCup game at 8pm ET/5pm PT today? Wondering what to do? Join the #womentogether #immigrationreform twitter chat!
- Join @womenbelong 2 learn how we can push Congress & President to ACT to keep families together. Tune into #womentogether at 8pm ET/5pm PT!
- What has inaction on #immigration cost your family? Follow #womentogether & @ergeekgoddess to discuss Today at 8pm ET/5pm PT #latism
- Join @Aijenpoo @miriamyeung & share your story of cost of #Congress inaction on #immigrationreform. Use #womentogetherToday 8pm ET/5pm PT
- 1 year after the Senate passed #CIR, #Congress still hasn’t acted. Join the #womentogether Twitter Chat Today 8pm ET/5pm PT 2 demand action
I look forward to tweeting with you tonight!
— Bekah, social media coordinator, We Belong Together