Hi Everyone :)
Inspired by my friend Sahra Nguyen's annual tradition of holding a birthday fundraising campaign, this year I am celebrating my birthday for two weeks by raising money to create a grant that will be given to the Young Womyn's Leadership Program (YWLP) in New Orleans.
From February 28th to March 16th, I would love it if you could celebrate my birthday with me by creating a gift that keeps on giving!
My Goal is to raise: $1,500
THIS CAUSE IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE YOU WILL BE A PART OF NURTURING THE GROWTH OF THESE YOUNG WOMYN TO BECOME STRONG AND FEARLESS FEMALE LEADERS WITHIN THEIR LOCAL AND GLOBAL COMMUNITY.
By supporting this cause, you will:
- Provide training opportunities for the young womyn to increase their skills and knowledge in their areas of interests, such as (but not limited to): social justice, ethnic studies, and reproductive justice.
- Support the members creative and artistic pursuits of holding a production of a youth-led and youth-friendly Vagina Monologues.
- Grant the opportunity for the program to invite keynote speakers for the very first time.
- Fund opportunities for members to attend events that will nurture the development of upcoming workshops.
THIS GRANT WILL BE THE VERY FIRST GRANT
AND SOURCE OF FUNDING GIVEN TO THE YWLP.
Yet despite not receiving any source of funding since it first began in 2009, the YWLP has been able to:
- Create a safe space for young womyn in the New Orleans’ East community
- Diversify the organization VAYLA, where once upon a time it was a male-dominated space
- Have an increase of over 65 members within the span of 5 years
- Raise $650 to participate in the Susan G. Komen’s Walk for the Cure of Breast Cancer
- Raise $250 to host a YWLP Retreat
- Hold workshops on the following topics:
- Writing Campaign Letters in support of the Louisiana Equal Pay for Women Act (In 2010, a full time working Louisiana woman was typically paid only 67 cents or less for every dollar that was paid to a man)
- Womyn’s History Month: National & Local Womyn’s Leaders
- Domestic Violence
- Gender Stereotypes
- Body Image
- Healthy Relationships
- College 101
- Breast Cancer
ON A PERSONAL NOTE
This cause is important to me because of my own personal theme for myself this year. In 2014, I’ve decided to dedicate this new year added to my life by spending more time celebrating, supporting and collaborating with women, healing and nurturing broken & existing relationships, as well as nourishing the feminine energy within myself.
I believe it’s important for us as women to support the process of confronting our own insecurities with each other; to hold a safe space for dialogue in order to understand not just our purpose as women on the global scale, but how we have the power to uplift each other and future generations of young girls by first working towards becoming more kind and more mindful of the words we speak about ourselves and each other.
My birthday wish is for the young womyn of this program to not just believe, but to know, as a fact, that their dreams and goals can all come true with hard work, determination and an unassailable belief that anything is possible.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION WILL GRANT MORE OPPORTUNITIES FOR THESE YOUNG WOMYN TO CONTINUE THE PROCESS OF DISCOVERING THEIR LIFE PURPOSE AND PAVING THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL PATHS TO BECOMING THE WOMYN THEY HAVE ALWAYS ASPIRED TO BE.
Be sure to check back here for any progress and updates!
AS A THANK YOU,
- In collaboration with my friend Cynthia Lin & Lucky 8 Letterpress: The first 100 donors who donate at least $10 will receive a limited edition letter pressed print of a poem I wrote originally titled “Dear Fellow Dreamer,” addressed to you and signed by me. (Only 100 prints available)
- In collaboration with my friend Tu-Anh Nguyen creator of Awkward Boobies: In addition to being a part of the first 100 donors and receiving a poetry print, donors who give $20 or more will be entered into a raffle to receive a limited edition Awkward Booby print (Booby Lift & Mardi Gras Boobies) created exclusively for this birthday campaign. Even if you aren’t a part of the first 100 donors and you donate $20, you will still be entered into the raffle. (Only 15 available per version; 30 winners total)
- I truly believe that we receive and attract to us what we give and project to the world, my thank you and wish to you is that the Universe will ever be in your favor! May the beautiful support you have given me be returned to you tenfold :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH
If not, no worries, I would be ever so grateful if you shared this with your friends and family! :D